Kolikkoinmäki area, as other eastern suburban areas, was mostly built in the 1860s and 1870s. The areas had no street plan but the plot subdivision was arbitrary and the plots were very small. They were rented with very short-term rental agreements and due to this the houses were very small and structurally poor. The dwellings were mainly for workers and had no municipal engineering. The street network was practically non-existent and it was barely possible to move with carriages along the rocky lanes. In 1898 Kolikkomäki had 484 buildings and 4800 inhabitants.
In southern Kolikkoinmäki, buildings on 63 Suurkatu street plots were destroyed during the war of independence. When making the new street plan in the 1920s, Suurkatu street was broadened to 36 metres and rails were built in the middle. The street network was gradually improved around Kolikkoinmäki and the area was mostly within the water and sewer network before the wars. There was Kolikkoinmäki primary school in the area but building of Juteini primary school was not finished by November 1939. Kolikkoinmäki had been incorporated into the town of Vyborg in 1924.
For example, U. Jaakkola Puusepäntehdas Oy, Ingrid Gustafsson-sahattua ja höylättyä puutavaraa, Keksi-, rinkeli- ja korpputehdas A.J. Eronen, Läkki- ja Peltisepänliike, Kolikkoinmäen Apteekki, Vesi- ja Lämpöjohtoliike Keskus, Uusi Leipomo, and Leipomo Yrjö Jämsen were located in Kolikkoinmäki.